Monday, July 16, 2012

A New Commitment: Running


I have always wanted to be a runner – this is one of those weird, inexpiable desires. I’ve tried to run a few times but this weird, heavy sensation comes over me when I run; I don’t understand it but walking feels light and almost springy and running feels heavy, like I’m wearing weighted boots and a bullet-proof vest. Regardless, I’ve always wanted to be a runner. The ones I knew in high school (and now), have toned, lean bodies; they have stamina and a drive, dedication and commitment to themselves. I really respect that. When I was in high school, one of my gym teachers told me it was ok that I didn’t enjoy running and that some people really can’t run. I took this permission and ran (pun intended) with it. I wasn’t a runner and that was ok. Well, somehow, my not running became me not walking, too.

I do love to walk…in the woods. Put me on a treadmill or a park and I’m bored out of my mind. I’ve just never enjoyed working out and if it felt that way, I was out! I’ve tried yoga (makes me nauseous), Pilates (love it), aerobics (I’m completely uncoordinated and just look like a spaz) and Tai Chi (balance and focus issues but enjoyed when I could really get into it) as well as walking (dog, path, etc.) and cycling (really enjoy but don’t have a bicycle). I have been riding horses for as long as I can remember but the past few years, my back issues have been making it more difficult to do at the same capacity.

Me in 2004, at my healthiest; I was doing Pilates regularly.
I barely recognize this girl now...sigh...
As the years have gone by, I’ve developed more and more issues; at one point, I only had a bad knee which I had surgery to correct. I have become a voodoo doll of issues since that time having more issues with the one knee, developing pain in the other, I have a bad back (to the point of not being able to get out of bed or off the ground sometimes). With my weight increasing, my flexibility (which was wonderful as a child gymnast and in pretty good shape due to regular Pilates) is fast disappearing. I can’t even get up on the horse without a leg up or climbing on a bench. I feel like an old woman and I’m beginning to think like one too.

Well, today, I've taken another step in recovering my health. Bill and I try really hard to eat healthy – especially with kids – but feeding six people with one income and keeping up with all the other things in our lives can prove to be difficult sometimes; we eat more pasta and carbs than I’d like because they’re less expensive than their protein and veggie counterparts. With the kids gone at camp, we both thought we’d be eating really well but with $5 left for the next 10 days (milk, eggs, fruit, etc.) eating meals higher in protein has proven a little tricky. So, because I was feeling so sluggish (not eating so great) I decided it was time to do something about it…again.

I don’t know why I decided to try running again but I am committed. I’ve begun a 4 week program to be able to run 1 mile, the whole way. To some, this may sound like not a big deal but for me, it’s huge. Remember the pressure?!? I don’t have great shoes or a fancy watch or even good clothes for running but I’m going to make do with what I’ve got.

What I’ve got:

·         Track – the nearby high school has a track that’s available to the community. It’s free to use but can be busy sometimes.
·         Gym Shoes – they hurt my feet when I walk in them, but curiously, they didn’t really hurt today when I was exercising in them
·         Yoga Pants and a Big T-Shirt – I do have a fitted exercise top but because I’m so busty, it doesn’t cover me well – no one needs to see that while I’m gasping for air or tripping down the track…
·         Water bottle -  I have plenty of these and once I’m ready to go off the track, I’ve got my camelbak
·         Warm-up and Cool-down stretches – I did some research yesterday (I can’t begin anything without researching it) and found some good instructions on learning to run with all the Q&A’s I wanted to read about. This morning, I looked up some YouTube video’s on dynamic stretches (for before I begin) and static stretches (for after I’m finished). I wanted to see the form, I felt good about what I did…
That’s pretty much what I’ve got but if I actually stick to this, I can always get more (or replace the batteries in my heart rate monitor, etc.) of whatever I’m needing.

Today I ran.

I talked to A last night and asked her if she wanted to run with me. She was super excited to join me and I wasn’t sure she would dig it but knew she’d try. One mile, like I said, isn’t much for some people but for me and my 5 year old, it felt daunting in the middle of the summer. We woke up, drank some water, ate something small and went to the bathroom a thousand times (I had warned A that we weren’t going to be able to stop and find a bathroom). I had a nervous stomach all morning, I felt like I was attempting something so big and important. I felt like I was doing something big and I was, for me. The rest of the world has no idea why it’s so epic and I guess that’s ok. People like to watch epic things and I didn’t want an audience.

Oh and A and I were dressed to match – she in black exercise pants and a green tinkerbell top and I in black yoga pants and an old horse group shirt (also green). A thinks this is the best thing EVER!!!

We got to the track; it took a long time to stretch beforehand – A was doing her best to do what I was doing but her form was really poor so I had to help her, the last thing I wanted was for her to injure herself stretching. It was now, at the track, that a thought finally popped into my head, is it inappropriate to bring a 5 year old running? Am I breaking some workout rules that I’m so far removed from that I don’t even know it exists? Well, there was only one person there so I guessed I was going to be ok. Of course, as we were stretching, three more people joined the track. It was out of my brain and I was focused on this commitment to myself.

Ok, we’re ready to go. We run a quarter of the track, walk the other three-quarters. A is jumping all the track markers and is kind of all over the place (although she did a good job of staying in her lane). After we did completed the first lap, she needed water; oddly, I was ok to keep going. We did the second lap the same way, only this time, I stopped for water, too. As we began running for the third lap, A asks me if we’re done after this lap, she says she bored (well, she lasted longer than I expected). I explain that we we’re only on our third lap and that if she wanted to stop she could but, because she’s a honey badger, she said she wanted to complete it with me.

Once we’re done, we drink a little water and then begin stretching for our cool down, again, I help A with form. We’re feeling good. Our faces are red, our shirts are damp and our legs feel a little wobbly (well, my legs are a little wobbly). We get back to the car and drive home (it’s only a mile from the house but I don’t think A can handle walking that and then running and then walking back). I'm actually feeling pretty good. If someone were to push me, I would be able to do more but I'm glad that I'm going to take this slow.

Oyi...who is that person?!?
We get home and drink some more water, get ready for our showers – I’m feeling so weak all of a sudden, A is bouncing off the walls, as usual. I sit and drink more water, it’s a short lived weakness but it’s a little freaky. Before we shower, I take our photo, it’s not pretty. As usual, I don’t really recognize the girl in the photo with my kid but the red face and matching outfit reassures me that it’s me. Sigh…

We both shower and feel awesome afterwards and share a smoothie. Tomorrow, we cross-train (Pilates or Zumba, maybe) and then we run again in two days. I like this system, I feel like it’s broken down in bite size pieces that I can chew up and taste without feeling completely overwhelmed.

This is my commitment, I am going to go through the next four weeks as scheduled out (or the best I can). This is my schedule and this is my commitment. Let’s do this…

Four-Week Beginner Training Program to Run One Mile
By Christine Luff, About.com Guide

This four-week training program is designed for total beginner run/walkers who want to build up to running a mile. This program is a run/walk to continuous running program. Each week, you'll make a slight increase to your running distance and a decrease in your walking distance. By the end of four weeks, you'll be able to run one mile without stopping. 

Notes about the training schedule: 

For measuring purposes, it's best to do these workouts on a track, which is usually 400 meters, or about 1/4 of a mile. Each workout will have the track equivalent, so you know how far you should be running and walking. 

You should start each run with a 5-10 minute warm-up walk. Finish up with a 5-10 minute cool-down walk. 

You don't have to do your runs on specific days; however, you should try not to run two days in a row. It's better to take a rest day9 or do cross-training10 on the days in between runs. Cross-training can be walking, biking, swimming, or any other activity (other than running) that you enjoy. 

If you find that the program progresses too quickly for you, you can repeat a week before moving on to the next week. 


Week 1:
Day 1: Run 1/16 mile, walk 3/16 mile – repeat 4 times (Track equivalent: Run 1/4 of a lap, walk 3/4 of a lap – repeat 4 times) 
Day 2: Rest or cross-train 
Day 3: Run 1/16 mile, walk 3/16 mile – repeat 4 times (Track equivalent: Run 1/4 of a lap, walk 3/4 of a lap – repeat 4 times) 
Day 4: Rest 
Day 5: Run 1/16 mile, walk 3/16 mile – repeat 4 times (Track equivalent: Run 1/4 of a lap, walk 3/4 of a lap – repeat 4 times) 
Day 6: Rest or cross-train 
Day 7: Rest 

Week 2:

Day 1: Run 1/8 mile, walk 1/8 mile – repeat 4 times (Track equivalent: Run 1/2 a lap, walk 1/2 of a lap – repeat 4 times) 
Day 2: Rest or cross-train 
Day 3: Run 1/8 mile, walk 1/8 mile – repeat 4 times (Track equivalent: Run 1/2 a lap, walk 1/2 of a lap – repeat 4 times) 
Day 4: Rest 
Day 5: Run 1/8 mile, walk 1/8 mile – repeat 4 times (Track equivalent: Run 1/2 a lap, walk 1/2 of a lap – repeat 4 times) 
Day 6: Rest or cross-train 
Day 7: Rest 


Week 3:
Day 1: Run 3/16 mile, walk 1/16 mile – repeat 4 times (Track equivalent: Run 3/4 a lap, walk 1/4 of a lap – repeat 4 times) 
Day 2: Rest or cross-train 
Day 3: Run 3/16 mile, walk 1/16 mile – repeat 4 times (Track equivalent: Run 3/4 a lap, walk 1/4 of a lap – repeat 4 times) 
Day 4: Rest 
Day 5: Run 3/16 mile, walk 1/16 mile – repeat 4 times (Track equivalent: Run 3/4 a lap, walk 1/4 of a lap – repeat 4 times) 
Day 6: Rest or cross-train 
Day 7: Rest 


Week 4:
Day 1: Run 1 mile (Track equivalent: 4 laps = 1 mile) 
Day 2: Rest or cross-train 
Day 3: Run 1 mile (Track equivalent: 4 laps = 1 mile) 
Day 4: Rest 
Day 5: Run 1 mile (Track equivalent: 4 laps = 1 mile) 
Day 6: Rest or cross-train 
Day 7: Rest



 Let's see if I can keep up with this commitment to myself...


No comments:

Post a Comment