Saturday, July 14, 2012

Marshmallow Candy...

Disclaimer: THIS IS NOT HEALTHY!!! I was reading something about a dessert / snack called Hocus-Pocus where you wrap your marshmallow in a croissant and bake it and there's more to it but I've made them and I think they're disgusting. I've been making this (or a version of it) since I was a kid. Hocus-Pocus has NOTHING on this...

I was a latch-key kid. I had a lot of freedom to snack for a long time. I have never been someone to just eat a bag of chips with salsa - I want to make nachos! Instead of eating some fruit, let's make a fruit salad!! I've always been one of those people who have enjoyed creating (I have a Master's in Art, people!) and I really enjoy making something...weird. I'll stand in front of the fridge, not waiting for my taste buds to decide but so my brain can figure out if we have any of the ingredients that my brain is wanting to concoct with.

This, Marshmallow Candy, is a favorite in our house - the kids can hear the bag opening and come running, hoping to get some scraps thrown their way! It's incredible...

Marshmallows...my friends (if you're going to eat them, at least buy ones
that aren't disgusting) - we use Kraft, Jet-Puffed because they're fabulous!

Melt about a Tablespoon of butter. In another container, put some
cinnamon-sugar. Cover the marshmallows in butter and then toss in
the cinnamon sugar. Lick your fingers...

Place them on a plate, I filled my snack / salad plate with 13. 

Microwave them on high for about 1 minute (if you have one of those crazy-
hot microwaves, do it for less time). You want to see them puffing up a little, but
not off the plate.

This is what they should look like when they're done (a little more puffy, the
first picture I took was blurry - I forgot I was shooting into a microwave).

Beautiful and they would be completely delicious right away BUT...this is
what makes them both irresistible and candy...

Place the darlings (on a hot pad) in your freezer, on a flat surface.
Now...wait 20 minutes (minimum) to 2 hours.

They really don't look all that different after
they've sat for that time but you can see a
slight textural difference. The gooey-ness
has crystallized!!!

Eat with a fork. These babies will crack and splinter (if you left them
in the freezer for long enough) and are the ooey-gooey best thing
you can make with three ingredients!!! 
You're going to be hooked now...trust me. You should make this to share with someone but I won't judge you if you hide and eat it all alone. It's OK with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment