Monday, July 8, 2013

Tropical Smoothie

We've been doing smoothies for a few months now. Bill has stopped drinking coffee altogether (although he will enjoy a cup every now and then, like my tea enjoyment) which is a major feat for anyone who drinks a pot, plus, of coffee each day.

Smoothies are a wonderful way to begin your day getting a chunk of the vitamins and minerals from fresh or frozen fruits and veggies. I day, even if you have an awful eating day, you're ahead of the game. We try to have a big salad at every dinner but sometimes, I don't have enough food in the house for that. At any rate, a smoothie will jump start your energy and help you run your best (it's best with fresh veggie juice but some mornings I just don't want to clean both appliances).

I throw in frozen fruit, mostly. Add either some water or fresh juiced veggies (carrots, beets, kale, sweet potato, herbs, cabbage, etc.) usually - but lately, I've been on a coconut milk kick. I also toss in fresh or frozen kale, spinach or cabbage with some Chia seeds. Each day is different and that's a nice mix up for us - it all friends on how I'm feeling at 6a, when I get up to make them!

Today, I thought tropical sounded good!!! Usually, I don't use juices but I had some on hand from a dessert I made where I separated the two.

One more thing; I have found that cranberry is my absolute favorite fruit to add to any smoothie - even my husband, who doesn't like them likes the flavor it imparts. Also, watermelon is an excellent addition to smoothies as it's so full of moisture and flavor. We dice up a whole watermelon and bag out the chunks to be used later in smoothies!

Tropical Smoothie

3 cups coconut milk
1 cup pineapple juice
2 cups mango (frozen)
1/3 bag (1 cup?) cranberries
1-2 cups diced watermelon
10+ leaves, kale (woody stem removed)

Blend until combined (I usually let it run for 3-5 minutes to make sure all the greens are pureed.

No comments:

Post a Comment