Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wedding Cookies...the new cake!

It's after 1 in the morning and I'm contemplating baking. Am I crazy? I've been so consumed with the upcoming wedding, I think it's making me batty.

I just spent an hour finding "rustic cookie" recipes so I can try some and then talk to the baker about which ones I like. If this sounds like one of those cleaning the house before the cleaner comes, it totally is. This is not something that I need to control or worry about but since I haven't had a lot of interaction with her and she said she'd try some new recipes and get back to me in early January (it's March), I guess I'm freaking out that she didn't do it (she seems a little scattered as a business owner...but her cookies are so wonderful!) so not I feel like I need to. See...batty.

I've found recipes for: Lemon, Ginger & Cranberry Cookies, Maple Pecan Cookies, Lavender Shortbread (has mint and lemon, too!), Spiced Slices (like biscotti, but only baked once), Orange Chocolate Cookies and Lemon Cranberry (with Pecan) Cookies. These all sound divine...I want to make them all tonight!!! If I make all these cookies to try them it's really gonna mess up the healthy eating I've been doing for the past 6 or 8 weeks. I don't need to be derailed but I'm anxious that she's not going to have time to try to make them either.

What's a girl to do???

I'll make a decision and if I make some, I'll post the recipes (after the tweak the snot out of them) for you to try, too!!!

UPDATE***
I was really frustrated making these quarter batches. Overall, the cookies didn't have great flavor and none of them had the shape that the recipes suggested they would. I know some recipes don't transfer well so I just took them for their flavoring and not shape or texture.

I'm not a chocolate fan, but the orange chocolate cookies were the best out of what I made. The lemon cranberry cookies didn't have a great flavor (not enough lemon) and the shortbread didn't get past the dough stage (these REALLY didn't set up properly) but the flavor was OK - I'll try to make them again sometime.

What I've decided to do is talk to the baker and let her know that I have a few recipes that I really dig and then I'd love for her to play with some of the other flavorings. We'll see where that leads us.

My recipes:

  • lace cookies (light orange flavoring, fabulous texture)
  • cranberry lemon drops
New flavor mixes to explore:
  • biscotti (classic) - I have a recipe for this but it seems that everyone does so I'd rather touch base with her and see if she has something she's already familiar with.
  • orange chocolate (like I said, the recipe wasn't great but I'm sure there's something out there we can tap)
  • mint lavender (shortbread?)
  • Ginger snaps (she said she already does this)
  • she already, daily bakes: oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip, etc.)
I'll probably post something new, if I can make the time for it, once we make a decision. I tell you, planning a wedding, when you're putting all the pieces together yourself is a full time job!

No comments:

Post a Comment